The biggest risk factors for Macular Degeneration (AMD) are age and having a family history of the disease.
However research has shown that there are also important life-style factors.
Here’s a summary of what you can do to prevent AMD:
- Give up smoking if you are a smoker (smokers have 4 times the risk).
- Reduce alcohol intake if you are a heavy drinker (heavy drinkers have around double the risk)
- Lose weight if you are obese (obese people may have double the risk of visual loss)
- Eat healthy – a diet that is low in vegetables and fruit or high in processed foods and red meat increases risk of AMD
- Exercise regularly – exercise at least 3 times a week cuts the risk of AMD by 25%
- Wear sunglasses – protecting your eyes from UV rays reduces AMD risk
If you would like more information about AMD, make an appointment with Ewan. Phone 03 9583 0855